Google
 

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Just Politics

A short rant for you today. I'm off to bed in a minute here, but need to get something off my chest. Ever since I left Canada, I've been contemplating how ridiculous our government is, and how we allow them to go on this way. The Liberal government stole billions of dollars from tax payers and we punished them with re-election. I bet they learned their lesson. Thankfully in the following election we came to our senses and booted them out- even if it did result in Harper being elected. They were too cocky and needed a wake-up call. In any case, I began to contemplate Canadian politics more and more and I became infuriated. We've been brainwashed into believing that our health care system is fantastic- when in truth we only think that because it's better than what you find in the US. We still pale in comparison to many European countries and we pay comparable tax. Our education system is also weak in comparison. My rollerblades have become useless since I moved to Montreal. The roads are too bad to allow me to use them. Travelling in Thailand, I wished that I had them with me. I dream of coasting down hills of roads so nicely paved. Even Mexicans enjoy free education. With all these thoughts floating about in my head, I returned to Canada.

I was determined to get some answers. I hope down the road Canada will be my home away from home- dreaming of settling in a warmer, more transparently corrupt country. For now, however, I feel I should make the most of being home. And I want some answers. I want to know where my tax money goes. I want to know why I nearly starved on the less than adequate student loans provided by the Quebec government. I want to know how they justify cutting off my loans because I made 8,000$ in my graduating year. According to their calculations, 5000$ should have been set aside for my education the woman had told me, glaring down her long pointy nose at me. I've seen how things are done elsewhere, and I'm just not happy with our system. So I looked up my député provinciale- M Yves Séguin (Liberal). All I wanted was to talk. Of course, previous calls to his office have never resulted in a phone being answered, or a message returned. I don't know why I would expect any different in Quebec. Nothing on the Quebec government site indicates anything out of the ordinary. A Google search, however, reveals that M Séguin has stepped down and his seat has been left vacant. Hmmm... I searched for my Member of Parliament. Lo and behold, this position is also vacant. I'm glad that my interests are not being represented at the provincial or the federal level. What a relief!

That's what I get for having a spurt of idealism. Thank god it comes at a time when the Quebec government is voting on raising tuition for the first time since 1994. I'm thrilled that my opinions on the matter will not be heard and that I can enjoy a 200% increase in tuition upon starting my next degree.

No comments: