Google
 

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Ethical Tourism

For those who have been reading my ramblings regularly, you may recall that I had very mixed feelings about being in Thailand. I found it difficult to deal with the hoards of tourists and though it was a very easy country to travel because of their dependance on tourist dollars, I also couldn't help but feel that I'd walked into a sort of Disneyland park. Western tourists seemed to believe that since their hard-earned money was paying for their trip, they had earned the right to be condescending, leacherous losers. I actually heard a young Brit telling our guide that led us through the jungle that he took offence to Thai people thinking he was so rich because he had to save up for six whole months to travel to Thailand. He went on and on- really trying to communicate how difficult his life was as a young Brit- never even stopping to consider that our guide, who was paid pretty well by Thai standards, would likely never be able to afford to vacation in England.

The experience made me think about what sort of traveller I aim to be. Though I've found myself back in Canada, I know it won't be long before I'm hitting the road again (and by not long, I mean shortly after my boyfriend gets some working organs). Though cheap, trips to Cuba and Cancun have never interested me. I'm not fond of the concept of package trips and resort vacations. It alters the local economy and puts the tourist in an elite category above the local people. I'm not a fan. Without interaction with local people, I would have had very little to say about my year away. In any case, I began to think about how I plan to travel in the future. I want to see it all- which is an impossible feat as time and money are always concerns, but I plan on seeing every continent at the very least. And it seems as though teaching English and drama will be my vehicles. I am so lucky to be a native English speaker (except in Québec), as there is an endless stream of opportunities for me.

I've been thinking alot about volunteering to teach in Africa for awhile. This is the only way that I would consider travelling to Africa. The idea that some people spend thousands of dollars to go on a guided safari gives me chills. I began to look into volunteer opportunities while I was still in Korea and was annoyed that the agencies serving as the middle man were charging thousands of dollars to place you in a community. I'm perfectly willing to pay my own way and donate my time, but I take issue with paying to volunteer. These agencies are quite clearly scams, as far as I'm concerned. Help is so badly needed, I can't imagine I would be turned away if I just turned up there.

In any case, these plans are still in the thought stage, but if any of you have had experiences volunteering in Africa- please leave me some comments about your time there. I've got some leads on some good agencies, but you can never have too many...

4 comments:

Chris - Dreaming of Babylon said...

http://www.ethicaltraveler.org/

it's funny.... I'm about two weeks away from embarking on my 4 trek to Thailand and Cambodia and the things you echo in your post are exactly the things I worry about encontering when I get there...

From all the research I've been doing about volunteer work abroad (Africa and Asia) I have yet to find an organization in which you don't have to pay to volunteer. The thing that I realized is that for every person who volunteers, there are associated costs (food, accommodations, transport as well as the materials for whatever you are doing there). If you were to arrive in Phuket after the Tsunami, I'm sure you wouldn't be turned away, but volunteering @ Habitat for Humanity, they have to buy materials to build the houses and other things like that...

http://www.volunteer.org.nz

Oh, and don't write Cuba off... Cancun is a like a continual spring break chaos... but Cuba is paradise... you don't have to do the resorts... land in Havana and bus around the country... the Cubans are amazing people. I guarantee it will blow your mind.

Kimchee Dreamer said...

Hey Chris- Thanks for your comments. I once had a co-worker from Cuba who really got me interested in visiting there- but you're absolutely right- I'd skip the whole resort thing and hop on a bus. Best of luck in your Thailand/Cambodia trip!

Chris - Dreaming of Babylon said...

Any suggestions or recomendations? I'm splitting my in two. Two weeks in the north Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai and then two weeks in the south (Ko Tao)... any cool or off the beaten track gems would be appreciated.
thanks

Kimchee Dreamer said...

I was there at the tail end of the rainy season, so I skipped the beaches entirely. From what I hear for the South, you're better to check into guesthouses ahead of time- maybe try to find a good travel agency in Bangkok to see if they have a hook-up there. I met a guy who ended up paying 200$ a night for a hotel because all the guest houses were booked where he was. As for the North- Chiang Mai was cool - from there you can do the jungle trekking, elephant rides and rafting. After that I headed up to Laos - which was amazing. It has yet to be overrun with tourists and people were really friendly. Not to mention it was absolutely beautiful. The two day slow boat ride from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang is a little painful, but definetely worth it. I was running because I only gave myself two weeks for the trip, but if you have time I would definetely check it out. Check around for prices before you book anything! You'll be surprised by the differences in prices- one guy I went trekking with paid 6000 baht for the trip, where I paid about 140 baht. If you've got more questions- want more tips, you can email me at kimcheedreamer@gmail.com - otherwise have an awesome trip!