Google
 

Friday, January 12, 2007

The Job Hunt

It's not easy to settle back into life in Canada. Nothing about it is easy. I have to repress the desire to scream at people who wait to be tipped for the bad service they provided. I try not to think too much about how we're being absolutely gouged here by big corporations, and we accept it. But there's one thing I'm having a lot of trouble getting passed- the frustration of finding a job. Here's the thing- when a bilingual, University graduate with management and teaching experience is finding it next to impossible to find a job that doesn't involve french fries, I feel there's a problem. I hate to sound like a princess- I know countless people have had the exact same frustration. But I just can't hack it. The idea of going back to a customer service job makes me absolutely ill and I don't think I should have to. Nor do I see the point in spinning my wheels and hating my life for 10$ an hour. What the hell is wrong with this place? There's a time to break free of the easy solution, or soon you're left without a choice. For some reason, people around me believe that I should compromise myself- that I should suck it up and go back to the call center that kept me absolutely and frighteningly angry and depressed for the length of my disastrous call center career. Maybe I haven't given it enough time. With Christmas and New Year's, I suppose it has only been a couple of weeks, but my frustration is nearly overwhelming. I'm considering my options and may just find myself either back in Korea or back in Calgary before long... Is it any wonder people leave here and never come back?

No comments: