Google
 

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Catholicopoly- Good, Clean Fun With God

Now it's not that I don't think religious people can't have fun. It's just that I'm beginning to question if perhaps what they identify as fun comes from a part of the brain that I seem to lack. Church was always painfully boring for me- and apart from my summer-time Christianity that assured me a summer of water-skiing and horseback riding, I never really got into it. I hated being dragged from my bed- barely conscious, on a perfectly good Sunday morning (which always seemed to have nicer weather than Saturdays) to listen to an old man drone on about heaven and hell and the wrath of God. I came to the conclusion years ago that Catholicism- and perhaps all organized religions, were just not for me.


But lately, my curiosity has been peaked by a string of religious board games recently released. 'Catholicopoly' (obviously based on Monopoly) encourages you to bankrupt your opponents, but in a 'nice, fun way'. This game, quite clearly, is marketed towards all those mafia gambling operations surrounding Monolopoly games. You know the ones- where you sit around playing with seven acquaintances, palms sweating as you bankrupt them one by one in that 'cruel, mean way'. If Catholicism isn't your thing- how about 'Kosherland'? It's plum full of 'crazy, crazy Jewish fun'. The game, based on Candyland is designed to teach children about kosher eating. "David! You mixed meat and milk- back two spaces!" Still not satisfied? 'Race to the Kabah' will teach your child the 99 names for Allah. Imagine all the fun you could have with that. Like a long, drawn-out flash cards game... Mormons, if you were feeling left out, don't despair- there's one for you too! 'Mortality' allows players to collect testimonies that make them stronger. Yet some people (heathens) doubt the efficacy of these games. And the message. Apparently the losing players in some of these games don't reach enlightenment (or heaven). Some wonder about the messages these send to children. Will little Sally think she is forever damned to hell because she landed on Jerusalem and had to pay through the nose? Will Sammy be able to make up for the fact that he only succeeded in building ten churches, to Sally's eighteen cathedrals?





This is what passes as 'crazy, crazy Jewish fun' these days







Why do we need to build churches, even in games?



Alright, I can accept that some people might feel very strongly about Catholicopoly. I'm just not one of them. I've never understood how some sects of Christianity claim that singing and dancing are sins, but I suppose it does help to take the fun out of absolutely everything. But now the Christians have gone after yoga. Yes, that's right. Crazy Christians in middle of nowhere BC are claiming that their public school system is promoting Hinduism by encouraging teachers to use yoga at points throughout the day. Apparently the threat of their children turning to the Hindu faith is more disturbing to these parents than a lifetime of health issues stemming from obesity. Clarity of mind and self-awareness have always been traits that I've linked, perhaps incorrectly, with the 'supernatural power of Satan'. First Harry Potter, then daVinci Code, now yoga. One by one, people are finding a way to suck the fun out of everything.


No comments: