Google
 

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Refusing Donations?

Just when we were beginning to think that the stereotype of promiscuity in the gay community had been dealt with, Health Canada decides to give some more weight to the issue. A new regulation prevents sexually active gay men from donating their organs because of a higher risk of sexually transmitted diseases. A sexually active gay man, by the way, is defined as having engaged in anal sex anytime over the last FIVE years. Maybe I'm crazy but I wouldn't consider someone who hadn't had sex in five years as sexually active. I can appreciate that some diseases are dormant for awhile before showing up in blood tests, but I've never heard of one that sleeps for five years! What about sexually promiscuous straight people? There are plenty of them. Why not go one step further and say anyone who has had sex in the last five years can't donate their organs? The decision whether or not to accept the donation will come down to an interview with the family. If the family reveals that the donor was 'sexually active', the donation will not be accepted. I would be deeply offended, particularly if I were in a monogamous relationship if my donation were not accepted. Or I guess I wouldn't since I wouldn't be around to hear about it. Some estimate that this new regulation will cause as much as a 7% fall in organ donation. I'd really like to hunt down the actual justification for this policy...

PS- For those of you who are not gay men, please sign your donor cards!

No comments: