Google
 

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Unexpected Culture Shock

Totally unrelated to my post...
A Korean couple takes wedding photos under water.

Like all of us, I have been profoundly influenced by my parents. My father is a social worker- and though I have long said that I refuse to follow in his footsteps, sometimes it looks quite likely that I will- in my own way, of course. Before my father went to University, he served in the Canadian Air Force. Though he didn't make a career of the military and luckily never had to go to war, there were some lasting effects. To this day, my father still makes his bed with hospital corners, and thus so do I. My apartment may be a complete mess, but there are always hospital corners on my bed- unless my boyfriend (whose father was not in the military) rips the sheets out in his usual careless way. My dad told me once that his poor eating habits stemmed from his time spent in the military. He had to wake up too early and wasn't able to eat right after he woke up, so he would skip breakfast. For some reason, he'd skip lunch also and soon supper became the only meal he ate. He's eaten this way for as long as I can remember. Somewhere along the line, I developed what my mother calls "Kerr eating habits." I began skipping breakfast to squeeze in another fifteen minutes of sleep. For lunch, I'd have a small snack and end the day with a big dinner.

My lifestyle changed completely when I arrived in Korea, though. I was spending my days bouncing about in front of three year old children who didn't understand me. Everything required so much effort and energy. I was also going to the gym everyday. Breakfast became essential to get me through the morning- so I would make myself a fruit smoothie every morning, or grab an egg sandwich from the ajimma on the corner of our street. Lunch was usually bibimbap (egg, rice, vegetable and red pepper paste), kimbap (like sushi, but without fish) or sushi. For dinner, I often ate digigalbi (bbq beef), mandu (dumplings) or Kkachisan's famous chicken on a stick. I was working out at least two hours a day, eaten healthy, sleeping well and feeling great.

Now back in Canada, I find myself struggling to find appetizing food. The pizza that I had craved for so long in Korea is not as good as I remember it. Pasta is pretty bland. Everything seems to be carb heavy or dripping in grease. My first day back in Calgary, I was shocked to find myself downtown- walking past one restaurant after another in search of a Korean restaurant. I didn't know what else to eat.




Mmm... kimchee

It amazed me the whole time I lived there what an awareness the Korean people had of good health. Even my kids would tell me that they didn't like pizza or fried chicken because it was bad for their health. Parents would often bring in donuts for the teachers, but if I tried to share with my kids, they would refuse. It makes sense. When you are so accustomed to eating good, healthy food that makes you feel good- why would you want to eat something that weighs you down and turns your stomach? With that, I'm off to the Korean grocery store in search of gochujang (red pepper paste), mandu and ginseng. I have to eat something familiar.

2 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

Just posted your images.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Interesting and amusing blog.