Google
 

Friday, December 15, 2006

1 Transplant, 2 Transplant, 3 Transplant - MORE!

I've never talked about my relationships in these postings, except maybe to make fun of an ex boyfriend or two. They're easy targets- most of them can't read so I'll never get in shit. I won't bore you with the details- although I'm sure if all of my friends sat down at a table together, they'd have quite the story book. It just so happens, however, that my friends are spread out all over the world- thus insuring that such a moment will never happen... unless of course I do something stupid like get married and actually invite you people.



Fred and I have been together for four years. When we first started dating, I came home one morning, about a week into this new relationship, to find Fajer (my roomate) still there. I had been avoiding him because I didn't want to admit to him that I was hooking up with his Indian friend. But I was caught shamefully sneaking back into my own apartment in the early hours of the morning. Fajer couldn't really understand why I had been so afraid of telling him, and I remember saying that I didn't want to make it real because I knew Fred was going to last... and I wasn't sure if I was ready for that. A pretty big statement coming from a girl who watches the days tick away and then breaks off relationships at the four month mark. Except for those that sneakily got around this by doing the on-again, off-again thing. In any case, my horoscope eerily confirmed my feeling that this one would last- I cut it out, and I still have it.



I don't know what else to say. I'm at a loss, which is why I've never brought it up before. That and I'm petrified of commitment. But it's hard to be with someone for four years and still pretend that you're commitment-phobic. But here's the thing- Fred falls outside the mold. In many ways. I have a tendency to go for the high school drop-out. But Fred- he's got a high school diploma and TWO post-secondary diplomas. He doesn't play the guitar, but he's a singer... and now I'm a sucker for that (although if he learned to play...). I'm not going to get all mushy. It's not my thing.


In any case, I'll get to the point. Fred is Type 1 diabetic. And we've just been informed that in a few short weeks, he'll be placed on 'the list' for a new kidney and a new pancreas. We're told the wait is expected to be around the six month mark. That having been said, anyone with an extra kidney and/or pancreas lying around the house- please let me know. You know- that pair that you kept on ice after old Aunt Hilda passed on? Unless she was a drinker, or a diabetic than old Hilda can keep her pancreas.


That's all for now- you may notice that I've now got a Google search bar and some ads on my site. You'll probably also notice in the next few weeks that my posts will become shorter (I can hear you cheering!) and more frequent as I try to increase traffic on this site. Don't worry- it won't evolve into stories of hospital politics, or transplant tales. Or perhaps it will- who know? I would like to draw some attention to the fact that Fred's kidneys are currently functioning at 25%. At my prompting, he took two months off work to relax and give his body a much needed break. According to his insurance company, kidney failure is not sufficient reason to file for medical leave - so he hasn't had a paycheck in two months. Hmmm... perhaps I'll post their address and we can all send them hateful, nasty letters...

No comments: